Sunday, March 20, 2011

FIT

Upon reading some of the to-go places, the fashion institute museum was mentioned. I did think about it, but of course it wasn't one of the things at the top of my list. On a nice afternoon stroll, somehow managed to find myself right outside the place. Guess it may have been fate to explore it...

The FIT is actually an college of arts, business, design and technology. One of the top places here. The museum section is pretty small, and like most places - photography is prohibited...

His & Hers
The current exhibition is His & Hers. Quite an nice exploratory and history explanation through the decades and times of what defined fashion and how it came about. It's also interesting to find out what type of fabrics and textiles were used and why.

There was a lot of familiar designer names, but I didn't know that they came up with designs started trends in that time period. From man skirts to contemporary art... I was intrigued by the various choices and thoughts.

Japan Fashion
The special exhibit on japanese fashion was the highlight. I guess I was lucky that this was extended for an extra period of time. I have always been fond of japenese fashion... now to see them in an exhibition... really do feel content. Although I will miss out on the actual talks and catwalks, seeing them on manikins is the next best thing.

The more conservative styles - are quite modern and something I'd definitely want to get. Nothing that stands out too drastically. The typical fashion however - highlights the sub-culture all over japan. From your day to day sailor-style girls school uniforms, to maid outfits, goth, punk, emo and lolita's, this is all part of life.

How I wish to go see that in person now... only brings me the pain from all the devastation that has recently occurred there. What I do know is that... I will be there sometime

No comments:

Post a Comment